Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hacking The Cable Modem
Here is that good old book that this guy wrote, I believe he got in trouble for writing it too. I am posting it here for educational purposes ONLY. This is for those of us who want to learn just what makes these awesome little things tick.

Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5P0TCLGY
thanks man!
I know this thread is old, but I just wanna say that I have a physical copy of this book and it's easily one of my favorites. If I remember right, the author didn't get in hot water for the book, but it was for running a store that sold premodded modems.
(11-03-2018, 07:24 AM)ZekeThePlumber Wrote: I know this thread is old, but I just wanna say that I have a physical copy of this book and it's easily one of my favorites. If I remember right, the author didn't get in hot water for the book, but it was for running a store that sold premodded modems.
Old #Fakenews, he was doing his business and they just bashed him without any mercy! Assholes, they're just mad at him because of his beliefs and it wasn't just to set a precedent. At the end we've always seeing tons of sales of premodded modems throughout the years almost everywhere, just see OCCali thread.
I have a real copy of this book myself. Bought it many years ago in some book store for computer books which is closed since a few years. However the content is very outdated today. Also I can't say that I share his entire thoughts in the book. Some stuff was into the direction of anarchy like the whole stuff that the operators are morons because they use capping (summarized in some strong way) and it's the right to get the full speed even if you pay less as other customers. I guess this was also based on the limited lifetime. If you're young the establishment is always a kind of Evil-Corp Wink
Other parts like the reverse engineering on the hardware was very cool.
Also a big problem of the book was, that the most stuff was based on experiences at the customer site and some points were wrong. But how could he know this without first hand experience and knowledge from the operator site.
A new book would be nice. Like how to configure all security items on the CMTS to prevent the old dirty tricks. Explain the old dirty tricks and also the explanation which settings or design will prevent the exploits. Title: Hacking The Cable Modem Hacker Smile
Agreed with the reverse engineering section, it's a rather nice introduction to that.