Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Question about modren day Flashing
Hi, I am new to this form.
I registered because I was hoping some of you could help me in the right direction .

In 2009 I made a serial black-cat cable and using the black-cat software I flashed the SB500x with Haxorware / Sigma / Fresca .

Now in 2017, I no longer have a serial port and Black-cat /Tom's JTAG don't run on windows 10.
So its time to try a different approach.

I sodded in some header pins and connected a UART/TTL cable from China
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=496&d=1296767228]
[Image: 1PCS-PL2303-PL2303HX-USB-to-UART-TTL-Cab...40x640.jpg]

Using Puty I tried to read the serial data, but all I got is a black screen.

Then I disconnected the UART cable and hooked up an 'ST-Link V2r interface Programmer' from china.
[Image: HTB1WDD7QFXXXXXcXVXXq6xXFXXXP.jpg]

The ST-Link software told me it could not connect .
So I disconnected it and hooked up a Chinese USB-Blaster, just for kicks .
[Image: altera-max-ii-epm570-cpld-core-board-usb.jpg]

The USB-Blaster gives me a instant Blue Screen OD.

So I am wondering :
1- Why isn't the UART/TTL cable displaying any serial output ?
2- Is there an other cheap programmer that will work with FlashcatUSB / BlackcatUSB ?
3- Is the any software that can run on win10 that will support the printerport cable ?

Thanks in advanced for your help!
I have no problem with blackcat on windows 10. What is your error?
Please see the attachment for details.
Note that its BlackcatLPT.140 from 2009

toms jtag works if you delete the io.sys file
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat link https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
(21-11-2017, 07:31 PM)Flup3 Wrote: Please see the attachment for details.
Note that its BlackcatLPT.140 from 2009

Tried using a newer version of the software?
(21-11-2017, 09:33 PM)drewmerc Wrote: toms jtag works if you delete the io.sys file

Doesn't seem to work .
Nor can I find a newer version of BlackCat LPT

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-CJMC...09572.html

one of these in jtag mode should work with toms jtag, the jtags you are using only work with openocd or urjtag
__________________________________________________________________________________
(22-11-2017, 06:15 PM)drewmerc Wrote: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-CJMC...09572.html

one of these in jtag mode should work with toms jtag, the jtags you are using only work with openocd or urjtag

Thank you, I will give it a try .
would it work with BlackCat/FlashCat or is there some kind of check in the software ?

Do you have any idea why the UART cable is not working ?
Literally a $2 clone of a UART will work on eBay from China.

You can go get a BlackCat but it introduces a lot of complex variables. You don't even know yet if it is your UART reader hardware, computer OS software, configuration, or connection. Start simply, as simply as you can get then maybe get something that does 15 different things. I would start with returning the USB Blaster as it's probably not compatible, or it maybe it is - though no one uses it, so who knows.

I prefer something (authentic) FTDI based for UART. You can buy something for under $5 on eBay, though it may be a clone or it may work perfectly.

Personally, I recommend sparkfun.com as they are US based, sell genuine products, and have never failed me. Remember, if you choose to buy something new don't get a sophisticated 25-in-1 device. Get one as a simple as possible.

It's also important, power on then modem normally with it's own power source. Then, you should only have 3 cables for UART - Ground, Rx, Tx. Find the right ones and you'll see something.

Additionally, if you want to test your UART reader - they sell a "looper", I don't remember the exact language but a good shop will know what you are talking about if you describe it. Since you do not know if Win 10 is working with your UART reader, and if it is - if your UART reader is working with your modem. It's basically a feedback loop. You connect it, and when you type something into putty you should see it repeat it. This method has been around for decades and you can probably make one yourself, or ask a good shop. Maker shops are good for it. I listed one online already.
(23-11-2017, 02:01 AM)neo_ Wrote: Literally a $2 clone of a UART will work on eBay from China.

You can go get a BlackCat but it introduces a lot of complex variables. You don't even know yet if it is your UART reader hardware, computer OS software, configuration, or connection. Start simply, as simply as you can get then maybe get something that does 15 different things. I would start with returning the USB Blaster as it's probably not compatible, or it maybe it is - though no one uses it, so who knows.

I prefer something (authentic) FTDI based for UART. You can buy something for under $5 on eBay, though it may be a clone or it may work perfectly.

Personally, I recommend sparkfun.com as they are US based, sell genuine products, and have never failed me. Remember, if you choose to buy something new don't get a sophisticated 25-in-1 device. Get one as a simple as possible.

It's also important, power on then modem normally with it's own power source. Then, you should only have 3 cables for UART - Ground, Rx, Tx. Find the right ones and you'll see something.

Additionally, if you want to test your UART reader - they sell a "looper", I don't remember the exact language but a good shop will know what you are talking about if you describe it. Since you do not know if Win 10 is working with your UART reader, and if it is - if your UART reader is working with your modem. It's basically a feedback loop. You connect it, and when you type something into putty you should see it repeat it. This method has been around for decades and you can probably make one yourself, or ask a good shop. Maker shops are good for it. I listed one online already.

the ftdi chip i linked is authentic as its to new to be cloned (and i own one) its a ft232h and why its 3x the price of the clone ft232rl's

the looper your talking about is just connecting tx and rx and typing into terminal should echo back (thus telling you it works)