Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
illegal to have haxorware as a backup modem
Hi,
I have cable in my house and im from the UK. Is it illegal to have haxorware as a backup modem providing i keep my info stuff from my main modem and obviously paying for my services.
you break the terms of service as soon as you plug it in but thats a civil suit so not breaking the law
i'll guess they'd do you under the telecoms laws unauthorized device which is illegal (but i dont think when this was made they had any idea about this, so they would be stretching it) and they may also try doing you with the rippa laws (but my defence would be the security is broken and it's a diagnostic device which nulls ripp)
plus the old favourite thief of service (again you could get out of this)

so to be honest i dont think they'd do you for anything other that terms of service and kick you off the network
only way i can see it going anywhere is if you sell them for thief of service (so you need to be careful with words)
and anyone caught doing this is sent to court

in all my time doing this i have never heard of anyone getting prison/fined for one modem it's always sellers
plus this is the uk so it'll go 2 ways
1 throw the book at you and hope it sticks(prisons are full so i cant see this happening)
2 fine you and maybe some CS(community service go plant some flowers or clean up bubble gum if your unlucky)

the above is my option i'm not a lawyer or anywhere near trained as one (so i could be talking bullshit)
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat link https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
(21-02-2010, 11:28 PM)drewmerc Wrote: if you sell them for thief of service (so you need to be careful with words)
and anyone caught doing this is sent to court

As i said mate is just a backup modem nothing eles! At the end of the day im still paying my internet and tv subscription but the way i see it as we are allowed to copy games & dvds if you own the original here in the united kingdom, why not have a backed up cable modem Huh afther all we are paying for are service but i would understand more if it stealling someone eles internet but if the main cable modem is broken we have to pay another £35 for a new modem and where you can pick them up for £10,

What are you saving ? Smile
that in it's self would be my defence (in court) but they could and can/would still kick you from the network
i don't think any court would convict you (revering engineering is still legal)
hell look at the outcome of both the tv-links and oink court cases (not related to this but gives you an idea of how dodgy tech cases go through our courts, both admins walked)
__________________________________________________________________________________
(22-02-2010, 12:19 AM)drewmerc Wrote: that in it's self would be my defence (in court) but they could and can/would still kick you from the network

Of coruse but at the end of the day they are loosing out on a customer.

(22-02-2010, 12:19 AM)drewmerc Wrote: hell look at the outcome of both the tv-links and oink court cases (not related to this but gives you an idea of how dodgy tech cases go through our courts, both admins walked)

Thats what i call illegal! as at the end of the day is shared it out to millions of people wide world!

I own my own cable modem via the installation cost so therefore is owned by me. I just pay for the services that i receive and aslong as my contract is still going and the services i get i should be intitled to a backup modem. Plus they didnt ask for them back as my dad has a spare modem taking about recycling when it can become usefull for backup purposes, if it breaks in the progrees tuf titty not as if the ISP wont they modems back when is in the recycling poo
Quote:Thats what i call illegal! as at the end of the day is shared it out to millions of people wide world!
very true

Quote:I own my own cable modem via the installation cost so therefore is owned by me.
read terms of service not true in any way as all supplied hardware remains virginmedias

Quote:I just pay for the services that i receive and aslong as my contract is still going and the services i get i should be intitled to a backup modem.
terms again, programs designed to affect the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment (yes i know haxor increases the fuctionality)

Quote:Plus they didnt ask for them back as my dad has a spare modem taking about recycling when it can become usefull for backup purposes, if it breaks in the progrees tuf titty not as if the ISP wont they modems back when is in the recycling poo
they do this cause its not cost effective all modems out there now are end of life if they take them back, they have to pay to bin them (humm reuse them)

fuck i sound like virgin tech support (have you turned it off and on)
i feel dirty
[quote='drewmerc' pid='2323' dateline='1266798007']
[quote]Thats what i call illegal! as at the end of the day is shared it out to millions of people wide world![/quote]
very true

[quote]I own my own cable modem via the installation cost so therefore is owned by me.[/quote]
read terms of service not true in any way as all supplied hardware remains virginmedias

Im sure one modem yours if you been with them for xx years

[quote]I just pay for the services that i receive and aslong as my contract is still going and the services i get i should be intitled to a backup modem.[/quote]
terms again, programs designed to affect the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment (yes i know haxor increases the fuctionality)

True

[quote]they do this cause its not cost effective all modems out there now are end of life if they take them back, they have to pay to bin them (humm reuse them)

oh

fuck i sound like virgin tech support (have you turned it off and on)
i feel dirty
[/quote]

LOL Tongue
hi new to all this modem stuff am looking for some help in plain and simple terms i have got a starview 5 the box super usb and i am running vista home premium could u tell me how to get back all the channels i have lost this box had been flashed when it was first bought but i dont know how to do this so could u please help thanks.
(19-03-2010, 10:37 PM)halskie Wrote: hi new to all this modem stuff am looking for some help in plain and simple terms i have got a starview 5 the box super usb and i am running vista home premium could u tell me how to get back all the channels i have lost this box had been flashed when it was first bought but i dont know how to do this so could u please help thanks.
this is a modem site not tv try wizardmods