Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can I do with a SBG6580?
(06-06-2015, 07:48 AM)dryphi Wrote: Are you sure you provided the correct file?
I believe the "upgrade" went through this time because the software version changed - to SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH.

Anyway it promptly reverted back to SBG6580-6.5.2.0-GA-06-077-NOSH as soon as I connected the coax again so no harm done.
Now we know this can be done and the process works at least.
The question is, if I manage to successfully upgrade the firmware, will it simply revert back to the version on the Comcast network when I reconnect?

Not if you unplug the coax when the lights begin flashing. The software upgrade filename is specified in the config, which means no matter what firmware you load on to the modem it well always try to revert back to 6.5.2. You can get around this by unplugging the coax as soon as the modem registers on the network. Count to 10 plug it back in for a sec while the lights are flashing (dont screw it in) count to 3 unplug it again then count to 7 plug it back in (still dont screw it in) then count to 3 unplug it for 6 more seconds and then screw it back in. if the lights keep flashing for a while and the modem reboots you fucked up do it again. if the lights stop flashing you did it right.
It will if you dont disable firmware updates via telnet/snmp before you plug in coax

And if I'm not mistaken, the newer modems is a slightly different size of p7 header, however, not sure of the size diifference's..

Most likely Zilicunt has used the older 5101 p7 header size.
(06-06-2015, 12:14 PM)Canis-Major Wrote: It will if you dont disable firmware updates via telnet/snmp before you plug in coax

And if I'm not mistaken, the newer modems is a slightly different size of p7 header, however, not sure of the size diifference's..

Most likely Zilicunt has used the older 5101 p7 header size.

No, it was done correctly. and disabling firmware updates via SNMP does not do anything if it is specified in the config to upgrade at boot. This is the reason for unplugging the coaxial cable at modem registration, because no matter what you change it to the modem well always listen to the config file's parameters as long as they are defined. also who is Zilicunt? i never heard of him before.
Well regardless I still don't have the correct firmware file.
Like I said this image.bin file gave me version 3.5.8.2
(06-06-2015, 06:07 PM)dryphi Wrote: Well regardless I still don't have the correct firmware file.
Like I said this image.bin file gave me version 3.5.8.2

Yes hang on
(06-06-2015, 02:53 PM)Ziricom Wrote: ...no matter what you change it to the modem well always listen to the config file's parameters as long as they are defined.
Is there any way to change the config file?
(06-06-2015, 06:14 PM)dryphi Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 02:53 PM)Ziricom Wrote: ...no matter what you change it to the modem well always listen to the config file's parameters as long as they are defined.

UHHHHHHHHH Not sense 2007-2008
(06-06-2015, 06:58 PM)Ziricom Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 06:14 PM)dryphi Wrote:

UHHHHHHHHH Not sense 2007-2008

It sucks how the ISP can have more control over your equipment than the owner.
(06-06-2015, 08:02 PM)dryphi Wrote: It sucks how the ISP can have more control over your equipment than the owner.

You are sounding as if you should be legally empowered to. You get what you pay for. You control your equipment by paying for different tiers.
(06-06-2015, 08:13 PM)neo_ Wrote: You are sounding as if you should be legally empowered to. You get what you pay for. You control your equipment by paying for different tiers.

Entitled to control which firmware runs on the device, just like every other device I own including my cell phone? Yes. Absolutely.
Empowered to alter the download speeds to higher levels than I pay for? Of course not. If this is even possible.

According to your argument if I paid for a higher level of service I would be able to flash the firmware of the device, which is not true, even at the highest tier of service. In fact the user manual of this gateway/router states that only the ISP can alter the firmware.
Also the same firmware runs on all cable modems regardless of which download speed the user pays for.