Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do I need USB jtag ?
I want to flash my SB5101 with BlackCat and I'm not sure if I can use the parallel port or I need the USB jtag tool
I have the Parallel to 10pin cable and some headers to solder into modem
I'm hesitant because I read that the parallel port doesn't always work

any help appreciated
You can build your own parallel jtag, but you need a parallel port (do you have one) on your PC and the flash will take two hours.

You can buy a blackcat usb. Better connectivity (I bet you have a USB port) and flash takes a few minutes.

Or you can buy a USB JTAG NT which has the best community support and better hardware.
(22-02-2015, 06:35 AM)neo_ Wrote: You can build your own parallel jtag, but you need a parallel port (do you have one) on your PC and the flash will take two hours.

You can buy a blackcat usb. Better connectivity (I bet you have a USB port) and flash takes a few minutes.

Or you can buy a USB JTAG NT which has the best community support and better hardware.

well this is not easy
there is way too many tools needed
yes I have a parallel jtag cable and PC with built in P port

you say it's going to take two hours ..will I be able to interact with the modem via parallel port after I flash ?
Actually takes about 45 mins to flash haxorware with a parallel jtag cable
The difference is time amd capability as Neo suggested. A pjtag is the very first tool for this hobby and the slowest. Nothing will piss you off more than spending 20-50 minutes writing a flash with a pj than having it fail...Debricking is even worse. My suggestion is to at the very least spend $35 on a Blackcat usb and never look back. I did not buy an NT until I had a very firm understanding of this hobby and it is, IMHO, the best tool there is, period.
I just paid $22 for a Blackcat USB. But if I had a parallel jtag and just needed to do one SB5101 I would just use that and forget playing. Waste of time.

I did lots of SB5100, SB5101s with a parallel jtag. No problems. None at all.
(24-02-2015, 12:48 AM)Bruiser Wrote: I did lots of SB5100, SB5101s with a parallel jtag. No problems. None at all.

When I used my 2x CD burner in 2001 I also did not have any problems.
(24-02-2015, 03:10 AM)neo_ Wrote:
(24-02-2015, 12:48 AM)Bruiser Wrote: I did lots of SB5100, SB5101s with a parallel jtag. No problems. None at all.

And he's doing a SB5101. I had to get something newer to do the DOCSIS 3, but for that thing, old stuff is good enough as long as you are not going in production.
(25-02-2015, 05:41 PM)Bruiser Wrote:

And he's doing a SB5101. I had to get something newer to do the DOCSIS 3, but for that thing, old stuff is good enough as long as you are not going in production.

Exactly....one or two off's on a 5101 is a lot different than burning a whole shit load of CD's...

I had continuous buffer underrun errors on my 2X CD burner. So mine was worse than yours, I guess. It was HP.

The manufacturers knew there was a problem. That's all been fixed years ago.