Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Learning Resources
Hi all,

I recently became interested in modem hacking by watching some defcon videos. My goal is to learn enough to be able to program and possibly contribute to this interesting area.

I mostly program in C, but I recently learned a bunch of MIPS. I'm sure I could pick up another RISC arch fairly easily.

I would appreciate resources to learn the background information. I would also appreciate resources explaining the hardware. I've been looking for a nice project so that I'd have motivation to learn how to interact with hardware, and this looks like a good place to start.

Thanks
zax
In case anyone finds this post, I'm reading DerEngel's book and it is great thus far.
Start with a 1 year sub to SBHacker.net. Buy a Haxorware compatible modem and a usb programmer.
Go to the hardware section of SBH and start reading. Use the easy GUI features of Haxorware to become familiar with some of the terms and processes. Ultimately, your very best learning tool is a telnet boot log, bar none! You don't need a valid connection to learn from that. Once you have a log you can cross reference the processes and error codes at Cisco.com.

There is, sadly, no new info on "hacking" a modem except in reference to the hardware. Getting a Diagnostic modem to "work" on a network with even half-assed security is going to be a real challenge unless you're in a docsis 1.0 ISP....

Basicly, do most of the legwork on your own and ask intelligent, well thought out questions and you will eventually learn enough to be successful.