Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helpless and in need of a helpful hand - SB5101
So Ill give you a bit of backstory. - Student renting in a student house - When i was looking for a room, specifically looked for a house with high speed internet and a modem in the actual room itself to connect my PC where I make my living off of, so that is my main concern in any room. Day before I move all my stuff in, I notice one of the other house mates took the box out of my room and is now running it and the modem from the third floor, now i cant even get on wifi long enough to check my gmail Sad

so i tried to ask the landowner,, she doesnt give a "hoot" and the housemates dont give a ish either since they can connect where their rooms are located

then i stumbled across this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premodded-Motoro...1c1919b51b

I thought it was god send and would solve all my problems..I now realize im a bit in over my head and cant even configure this to work for me

if anyone could assist me in this - i would forever be grateful!

if you need any details or anything just please post or PM me and I will get back as soon as I can, but usually only able to access the internet between classes in the morning or late evening since I cant access internet from my room

modem - moto sb5101
ISP - optimum
Area - New Jersey
Perhaps a WiFi Range Extender installed on the second floor might be a better solution....
Lol he is good!!
I agree. You have 6 months or so to learn Docsis? another year or so just to READ the ENTIRE Sbhacker.net website and pull grains of real info off of a beach full of bs posts?

Hard to do since the ISP's have all but locked out the customers from any access but the signal strength. 4 years ago you could buy a 5101 premod, goto SBH, read for 15 minutes and get to the Google page. Not anymore. Not even close. It takes time, determination, loss of sleep and mental presence and then you just barely figure out what a cm does...then, you have to figure out how your ISP setup their security and then you have to figure out how to get your premod to give the headend what it wants to give you an ip....not a weekend crash course by any measure.

Range extender seems like a much faster route to what you really need. Someone recently mentioned that Optimum is still accessible with a clone but it seems unlikely to me. I could, of course, be wrong...