Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncapping Motorola SB6141
I have a Motorola SB6141 running extremely slow speeds of 5MB. The ISP is Comcast. I was reading around and searching through forums on the SB6141. I found a thread which is the SB6121 and was wondering if it is a similar process to mine.

http://www.haxorware.com/forums/showthre...1#pid21141

My goal is to remove the cap of 5MB and increase it to much higher speeds and I do need help trying to do this. If I need to buy the JTAGUSB NT then I will. I just want to know if flashing my modem will remove the cap. My modem is also using DOCSIS 3.0. I did find the tutorial on using JTAGUSB NT but again, I just want to make sure this will help me uncap my modem or at least increase my speeds much higher than 5MB.

http://www.haxorware.com/forums/showthre...ght=sb6141
Unfortunately what you're proposing is not possible in 2014. If this were a few years ago then it would've been a matter of flashing to a diagnostic firmware and forcing the modem to download an alternate tftp boot config with better speed settings.

Your modem is provisioned to run at the speed you are getting. There is no conventional way to get around it.
Man, I wish I had a time machine. I currently have another Motorola SB6141 that is capped at 50MB. I set it up with Comcast about 1 year ago then I cancel my subscription. I disconnected my modem for about a month. Every time I connect this modem I pretty much have free internet. Is there any chance that Comcast will shut down this modem since it is pretty much free service?
Yeah there is always a chance that they'll shut down the modem. We can't really estimate how long your modem will continue to be provisioned before it's caught in an audit, I guess it's just one of those things where you'll run it and learn about it.

If you have two modems, you can actually do a dualwan type setup thing so that would yield a total of 100 mbit of speed. It's a little complicated to set up depending on your skill set and effort you want to put in.
I'm in the same boat with comcrap capping my speed, which i do pay for, yet don't seem to get. So would something such as this not work for increasing my speed?

Quote:http://www.modempremod.com/index.php?rou...duct_id=50

I would be interested in knowing more about what you mentioned with the 100 Mbit Dual setup also. Any more info would be awesome, thanks Smile
Buy any puma5 capable modem such as the sb6120/sb6120 and flash the flash forceware yourself. That modem as is will not enable you to uncap your modem, you still need to understand how this docsis stuff works and how your local network is set up in order to test and achieve newer and better speeds.

Also, guys like magicmodem and modempremod are selling the firmware without mforce's permission and expect everyone here and on sbh to do the tech support for them for free.
good advice indeed, and definitely good to know.

i have a sb6120 already (stock), and i'm fairly knowledge about my lan, so if you have a good tutorial or info that might help me achieve what i'm looking to do that would be great. i was going to buy a jtag like the original poster mentioned, but it seems as though that's not the way to do things anymore? i'm a bit confused in that realm i guess. tyvm
The 2 common jtag's that people in the modem testing scene use are the USB JTAG NT and the BLACKCAT USB. Either one of them will enable you to write forceware or any other firmware to your SPI flash based puma5 modem.

Alternatively, if you have a usb ttl and serial points on your modems board, you could upgrade to forceware using the bootloader. Haxorware.com is still relatively new in regards to the talking of D3 modems so you might want to check out SBH which has several guides to help you accomplish what you want. It's written clearly so you won't have any issues with it (hopefully).
Thanks very much teddyalmonds. Smile

I've been visiting SBH for a couple years now (on occasion) but never really had the issues that I'm having now so it's looking more likely that I'll pursue one of the options you mention. Would you recommend one over the other (JTAG NT vs. BLACKCAT)?
I personally prefer the USBJTAG NT due to it's friendly software interface, large community support, and faster hardware.

If you are on a budget, the Blackcat is much cheaper.

Be sure to look into a SPI clip if you aren't comfortable soldering and/or the convenience factor.