Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ISP backyard pole terminals
The telephone company has a record of the cable and terminal at the telephone pole. They also have a record of the customer connected to any particular terminal. They also program any particular terminal with the dial tone and any other service with the line. They also are able to test what is connected to the terminal. They can detect if more than one phone is connected to that terminal.

Now in comparison to the CC/ISP terminals on the pole.
In the old days, all the terminal were the same with universal service at them. The installer would run a coax from any spare terminal to the customers premise. The customers would be provided with a particular equipment (modem or cable box) to obtain service.
I'm assuming that there was no individual programing of the terminal (beside the on line pole filters to restrict access) and no need to record which customer was connected to which terminal.
Has this changed with the new technology?
My next door neighbor, living in an apartment building that has had
cable service for many years requested service in an apartment that
had prior cable service and the coax is in place all the way to the backyard pole terminal.
His order was put on hold until a terminal on the pole can be assigned to his apartment. They claim that they cannot provide service until a terminal is entered in their computers.
My next question is: Are the CC able to program what comes out of each individual terminal, like the phone company?
They have had that ability for at least a few years now, but in my experience, they only use "addressable taps" in highly populated areas like apartment complexes and places like that.
Correct. Depends on the isp and how much money they are willing to spend to update to digital taps.