Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Router Slowing Speed of Cable Modem
Hello all,

I'm using a SB5101 with a Linksys WRT54G w/DD-WRT. When I do a speed test with speakeasy.net I get 35Mbps without the router and 25Mbps with the router. I'm doing the test with a wired PC. (I disabled wireless.) I changed all patch cables but it didn't help. Can someone tell me why this would be?

Thanks,
(18-12-2013, 02:37 PM)geoneo111 Wrote: Hello all,

I'm using a SB5101 with a Linksys WRT54G w/DD-WRT. When I do a speed test with speakeasy.net I get 35Mbps without the router and 25Mbps with the router. I'm doing the test with a wired PC. (I disabled wireless.) I changed all patch cables but it didn't help. Can someone tell me why this would be?

Thanks,

It's the age of the router, I have had that problem before as well, Change to a newer router and it will be fine.
(18-12-2013, 02:52 PM)joejoe402012 Wrote:
(18-12-2013, 02:37 PM)geoneo111 Wrote: Hello all,

Thanks,

It's the age of the router, I have had that problem before as well, Change to a newer router and it will be fine.

Thanks. I'll try another router.
A bad quality ethernet cable could also be responsible.
Let me know how it turns out bro, Im running the same setup and I just figured the router hardware is too outdated to keep up. These things were out when 5 down was blazin fast! I hook a D3 modem up that hits 50 down and it crawls to 27 when hooked to the router. Not sure if it's my neighbors (since I give free wifi) or the outdated hardware.
Wink 
(19-12-2013, 05:21 PM)modembricker Wrote: Let me know how it turns out bro, Im running the same setup and I just figured the router hardware is too outdated to keep up. These things were out when 5 down was blazin fast! I hook a D3 modem up that hits 50 down and it crawls to 27 when hooked to the router. Not sure if it's my neighbors (since I give free wifi) or the outdated hardware.

Hey what's up Modembricker? Smile

Yeah, guess what? I found the solution and I didn't have to get a new router. I read that you can overclock the router with DD-WRT. So what you have to do is change the frequency for the Ram higher. I changed mine from 200 to 500 and rebooted and it worked! I got 35mbps, like i should. I think you have to be careful though. I believe one shouldn't set it too high cause I believe you could damage it. I'll play with it again and see if I can get it closer to 200 and still have the right Mbps output. Good luck.
you guys can also upgrade the firmware as well, a thread over at usbjtag that discus this.
Hold on MOdemBricker! Not sure, but I think I bricked my router. I can't get to the DD-WRT page to change it now. I did a IPCONFIG/ALL and I see that it's not giving out a DHCP address. It's using the the public IP address. I tried to reset the router in the back but it doesn't reset. The power LED keeps flashing too. It's working though. I have two devices on the router and they both work at the same time. Not sure what is happening. When I read that article on the web about changing the frequency. The guy did say he changed it from 200 to 233. I went all crazy and doubled it. Also, and this might be how I bricked it, after the change was done it seemed to restart but then seem to freeze. That's when I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Then I thought it was all good until I now find that I can't get to the DD-WRT page, doesn't give out a private IP & can't reset it. Anyway, it's doing what I want. Maybe I'll try to reflash it but then again it's doing what I want.
I bet you overheated it and killed it. I dont remember seeing an overclocking area but there are so many options I will have to look again. You're not talking about the TX Power option are you? I'll check usbjtag and see if I can find the thread sixteen is talking about. I know ddwrt hasnt been updated in a couple of years.

Now I see what you're talking about.. the CPU clock speed.. if you doubled that then you killed your router! There is a mod to add a fan to it for doing that but damn if you went straight to 400mhz.. poor router.. it lived a happy life till you shoved a broomstick up it's ass..
Well, at least it's not totally bricked. My devices still go online.
I'm thinking of changing my username to RouterBricker. Smile