Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob, SB5120, Help?
Ok I want to thank anyone and everyone in advance. I might cause headaces for some people but, I'm saying it in advance now so I don't have to keep saying it...
To the point, I am very noobish at this "hobby" some may call this. But I have 2 SB5120, 1 is subbed. Which to my understanding means that the modem has service and is paid for each month. It the modem that is currently in use for my household which everyone uses. It hard to test and experiment while people complain about the internet not working. With the year being 2012 just about every device is powered by WiFi or 3G/4G. And when everyone is all on the network my tiny 10 MB down doesn't really make the cut. When +5 are all streaming YouTube or Pandora it makes it hard to get a good ping playing Xbox. Or even download movies or what not.
So if even still reading you might ask what does this all mean. Well my main goal here is to learn! I'm not a great self learner thou. I've been reading for the last 3 to 5 days... Really I've lost count. And been finding my self kinda alone with the SB5120 I can find tons of info on SB5100 and SB51001. To me that techonly seems kinda older now and soon to be outdated... I don't even know if my ISP allowes the older good modems... And be for you say it I know this forum is for BCM3349, but I just need some guidance. I soon am going to buy a jtag NT. But I want to know what I'm doing before I **** things up. I don't have the money laying around to do that. I would love reading any links that help me understand more but I just need some direction. Some time google is not the best. Really what I want to do after I learn what I am doing is kinda make like tutralws to help the newbies. But
back on topic..

So I got some questions mabey some one can answers or guide me on...
1. Can I have 2 modems with same ...certs(mac I guess) on at the same time? (my ISP is Cox & I live in VA)
2. Is it possible to uncap my modem? How?
3. Is there any custom firmware
out there for my modem?

Ok that's all I can think of right now its midnight here and I have to be up in like 5 hours so I need a quick nap...
#1 No you can't have two modems with the same mac and certs on at the same time on the same node.
#2 Maybe I really don't know and you have to test on your node to find out, but more than likely probably not.
#3 Yes and you are on the forums right now... It is called Haxorware and it only works on modems with BCM3349.
Ok so basically I have to borrow service to have 2 connections? Any were abouts how?
Also should I just buy the jtag nt and just keep tryning
(24-09-2012, 01:07 PM)natenixon Wrote: Ok so basically I have to borrow service to have 2 connections? Any were abouts how?
Also should I just buy the jtag nt and just keep tryning

go to their website: usbjtag.com
There is good info there especially for beginners.