Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloning modems
I have been on comcast cable for a while (I have subbed modem) but there is one problem. I live in 2 different places, and In the house that I use the least is the one that has the internet. My most used house has no internet, so I usually have to go to starbucks every time I need to use the internet. I have tried cloning my modem by putting the mac address and serial # of my old modem (A) to my new modem (B) but it did not work. I was wondering, how do I clone my sb5100 from my other house (house A) to my new spare sb5100 that I'm going to keep in my other house {house B} (the one with no internet).

Modem Info-
My new modem ( Motorola SB5100 ) has SIGMA X2 (A)
My subbed modem ( Motorola SB5100 ) is not modded (B)

UPDATE: I live in california
simple question if you take your subbed modem from house one and plug it in at house 2 does it work?
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat linkĀ https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
(08-09-2012, 11:42 PM)drewmerc Wrote: simple question if you take your subbed modem from house one and plug it in at house 2 does it work?

Haven't tried it. I figured it wouldn't work. Is it like supposed to work? Anyways it would kind of be a hazzle to carry the thing around from one house to another.
(09-09-2012, 12:05 AM)PumaTechTV Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 11:42 PM)drewmerc Wrote: simple question if you take your subbed modem from house one and plug it in at house 2 does it work?

Haven't tried it. I figured it wouldn't work. Is it like supposed to work? Anyways it would kind of be a hazzle to carry the thing around from one house to another.

If it is a hassle for you to carry, why dont you ask your isp? dum dum
(09-09-2012, 02:10 AM)sixteen Wrote:

Just clone your sub, to new one,it is not hard to do, remember they cannot be on at
the same time. Also, depends how far away are the 2 houses.

I am surprised Comcast is still using 5100 in your area!
(09-09-2012, 03:17 AM)haroldstein Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 02:10 AM)sixteen Wrote:

Just clone your sub, to new one,it is not hard to do, remember they cannot be on at
the same time. Also, depends how far away are the 2 houses.

I am surprised Comcast is still using 5100 in your area!

Yeah they started issuing sb5101 and higher now, but I got an sb5100 Big Grin

Oh and also they are on different nodes because they are pretty far away from each other (2-4 miles). So to clone, all I have to do is copy the HFS MAC and Serial Number to my new modem with sigma right? Don't I have to like upload a new config file and some other stuff? I have tried to look into cloning but google isn't really co-operating xD I just checked SBHacker and I cant find info that is not VIP lol. Could someone please tell me how to clone a modem?
if you cant/wont answer the simplest of questions or at leased try it, whats the point of this thread?
if it works or not would tell us how to proceed, but i guess your intuition knows better than my experience
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat linkĀ https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
(09-09-2012, 09:35 AM)drewmerc Wrote: if you cant/wont answer the simplest of questions or at leased try it, whats the point of this thread?
if it works or not would tell us how to proceed, but i guess your intuition knows better than my experience

Answer to your simple question: It does work.
Copying the HFC mac and Serial (worthless) is NOT cloning
Knowledge=Power
There are a few ways to get the certs off of a 5100 modem, which is what you need in order to clone your sub. If I was trying to clone the sub... I would use a hardware flasher and download the entire flash (from the sub) and then reflash the other modem with the back-up from the sub. Then just unplug the modem when you leave one house or the other. So that way it (the clone) doesn't knock your sub offline. And to stay under the radar of the ISP as well.