Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
@#$^*&^*^&$* Seagate POS Hdd...
I dropped my 1Tb 3.5 SATA Seagate drive when it was in a really nice enclosure and it died! Mf ing "click of death"! I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of an actual remedy besides the worthless Youtube put it in the freezer and hit with a hammer fixes...lmao. And no, i'm not about to send it to Sewergate and let them charge me 800 for new read/write heads...lol. I'm pretty sure I'm fucked but i figured I'd throw it out there...
Thanks
M8..

seagate data recovery

Seagate Barracuda drives, and especially 7200.7, 7200.8, 7200.9 and 7200.10 series have a very common problem with heads. Seagate introduced new technology in this line - special coating for the platters that was supposed to protect magnetic layer. But in fact it caused more problems than protection. Under special conditions this coating starts to flake and tiny bits of this substance stick to the head read/write elements. Reading becomes more and more unstable, the drive starts losing tracks and at some point typical symptoms or bad heads appear - clicking, knocking, sweeping sounds: , , making the data inaccessible.
heads close-up

Typically data recovery in this case involves opening the drive in class 100 clean room and replacing head assembly from matching donor. But our engineers have developed special technological process for cleaning the heads and quite often it is sufficient to temporarily repair them for successful recovery. The fact that we often don't need to order donors for such drives makes data retrieval in our lab less expensive for our customers.

Another common issue with Seagate hard drives is damage to the components on the cirquit board(PCBA). Hard drives in general are very vulnerable to overheating, power spikes and surges. Bad power supply unit combined with power streak is usually enough to burn spindle motor controller driver(SMOOTH chip) on the logic board. If this occurs the computer would reboot itself or shutdown completely, you would normally notice acrid smell and when powered on the drive would not spin up at all.

Non-spinning could also be a symptom of seized motor on multi-platter Seagate Barracuda drives. The drive would also make buzzing sound like it's trying to spin up. Data recovery in this case requires transplanting platters from bad drive into donor in clean room environment.

Seagate laptop Momentus drives also share some typical 2.5 inch HDD problems. One of them is heads sticktion to the platter surface.
heads close-up
Heads are normally parked on the parking ramp outside of the platters, but sometimes due to a fall or abnormal termination they fail to return to their regular parking position and are left on the surface. Immediately after the motor stops spinning they stick to the ideally smooth surface and it becomes impossible to release them without proper tools and experience. Don't attempt to open the drive by yourself - you will damage the platters for sure and this could make all your data unrecoverable.

There is one more problem that is typical for all hard drives: bad sectors. After some period of time magnetic media the platters are covered with starts to degrade and bad sectors develop.
Whenever the drive hits such unreadable bad sector it could start scratching, freezing, ticking and sometimes loud clicking: . This leads to further damage to the surface and causes more data loss. As soon as you start experiencing such symptoms while reading important files stop the drive immediately to prevent further data loss. In our lab we use special imaging hardware tools that are capable of reading raw sector data ignoring checksum check. That's usually the only way to retrieve as much data as possible from these sectors.

Seagate drives operate under special firmware microcode that could also fail sometimes. Typically hard drives with corrupted firmware spin up normally, do not click but still fail to initialize. Such drives could have one of the following symptoms:

HDD is not found in BIOS at all
shows up with wrong S/N or capacity,
fails to read any data or boot up operating system.
Knowledge=Power
Sorry to hear about your drive... You can try this software out I have used if a few times and it worked for me.. Pretty much said the drives where screwed, but you can give it a try.

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

There is a tool available to remove the heads but i'm not all that freaked out over the data...(It wasn't all my CC shit...lol). I just didn't want to shell out for another hdd this week. I might break out the TTL and try a last ditch bios update before I toss it in the canal and make a reef out of it. Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I forked out for WD Raptors when i built the Gaming rig, 10,000 rpm in a raid setup and never had an issue yet! No more Sewergate for me! Thanks for takin the time to reply.

Hddguru already said I was fucked as it can't see the drive because the heads won't park correctly.
I know if you want some data off, the freezer trick does work.. But it only works for about 5 mins until it heats back up... If it's possible to put it in the freezer, in a bag and let it chill for a few hours. Then if you can run long enough cables to run the hard drive while it's still in the freezer, that will give you a longer amount of time to pull the data off.

(10-08-2012, 06:12 AM)diabls Wrote: I know if you want some data off, the freezer trick does work.. But it only works for about 5 mins until it heats back up... If it's possible to put it in the freezer, in a bag and let it chill for a few hours. Then if you can run long enough cables to run the hard drive while it's still in the freezer, that will give you a longer amount of time to pull the data off.

lol

Tried that...no change. just the click of death and no recognition in disk management. I was able to reflash the Bios to it last night and it made no difference. I only dropped the thing less than a foot off the ground! What a POS! I toss my 2.5 inch 750gb Seagate momentus in a cheap enclosure all the time and it's survived much, much worse and still runs perfect. Looking forward to when SSD's are affordable enough to get a Tb or so. You can grab a 128 gb for 100 now but the 480 Gb are still ridiculously expensive.
Also, never hover over a running hard drive with something in your mouth, like a screw driver.. Because it always seems to land on the damn hard drive. lol