Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
cutting cable
Question 
I want to move my STB and modem to a different location in the house - further away than the current cabling will reach. What 'variety' of cable do I need to buy, and what tools/items do I need in order to add those screw/washer connectors to the ends when I cut it?

Heart Thanks in advance.
(28-04-2009, 09:38 PM)RowaN Wrote: I want to move my STB and modem to a different location in the house - further away than the current cabling will reach. What 'variety' of cable do I need to buy, and what tools/items do I need in order to add those screw/washer connectors to the ends when I cut it?

Heart Thanks in advance.

hi if ur in the uk you can get a saterlite fplug kit from homebase for about 2 quid and use normal copper tv coax the kits consists of 2 fplugs and jioning barrel
Thanks lambretta.
(28-04-2009, 11:17 PM)RowaN Wrote: Thanks lambretta.
I would not use tv coax, you can get RG6 from maplins and proper connections for it. If you are going to do it, do it right. Then you won't have any problems. Its a difference in ohm resistance and quality of cable.
(30-04-2009, 08:31 AM)badger Wrote:
(28-04-2009, 11:17 PM)RowaN Wrote: Thanks lambretta.
I would not use tv coax, you can get RG6 from maplins and proper connections for it. If you are going to do it, do it right. Then you won't have any problems. Its a difference in ohm resistance and quality of cable.
Ust for information:RG59 has a small center conductor, circa 20AWG in American sizing terms, foam (usually) dielectric and single (usually 80 - 90% coverage) braided shield.

RG6 has a bigger diameter core, around 18AWG, a thicker dielectric and usually a 100% coverage foil shield which is then covered by 80 - 90% braided shield. Hence, it will offer a better performance than RG59.

However, the correct (IMHO) cable to wire a house (for digital satellite or digital cable) is 'CT100-spec' cable. This has a honeycomb (5 distinct 'hollows' running lengthwise) dielectric core. It gives a slightly better performance than RG6 over longer runs, but is quite stiff (but who cares, it's probably going to be tacked down anyway...)

RJ59 is only for analogue signals AFAIK...

Choice is yours - but I have over 40m of CT100-spec cable from my 0.2db satellite LNB and the picture/sound is always spot-on
lol sattelite is digital
and even if it wasnt, LNB downconverts the 10GHZ signal to about 20MHZ for low loss on almost any cable
so cable doesnt really matter for sattelite
[Image: 2qu0z8h.gif]
If you want to do it properly, use high quality cable like WF100 and use compression fit connectors.