Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I clone my modem?
Hello all,
I have a simple question really!
I have a Ambit 250 with a legitimate subscription.
I purchased on ebay a Ambit 256.
I wish to make a clone of my legit modem in case it fails one day as I don't wish to be without the internet for any length of time. I'm not interested in hacking the cable network or using it for any illegitimate purpose.
Is it just a question of loading Haxorware on to the 256 then changing the mac address to my legit 250 ? Or is there more to it ? Will my cable network throw me off if it detects Haxor ?
I'm on Virgin in the Uk.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
call the cable company and give them the mac, when the one your using goes dead.
(03-03-2012, 12:06 AM)crazyanimal Wrote: call the cable company and give them the mac, when the one your using goes dead.

I guess that's the easy option, but I'd really like to know if I can make my 256 work as well.
(02-03-2012, 11:57 PM)joesoap Wrote: Hello all,
I have a simple question really!
I have a Ambit 250 with a legitimate subscription.
I purchased on ebay a Ambit 256.
I wish to make a clone of my legit modem in case it fails one day as I don't wish to be without the internet for any length of time. I'm not interested in hacking the cable network or using it for any illegitimate purpose.
Is it just a question of loading Haxorware on to the 256 then changing the mac address to my legit 250 ? Or is there more to it ? Will my cable network throw me off if it detects Haxor ?
I'm on Virgin in the Uk.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

the question is simple but it's execution is incredibly complex, but let's hit some key points if your modem fails ring virgin they send the nearest van with a modem (longest i've waited for a modem is 4 hours when it's dead, no lights) haxor would only help in a dead modem situation it will not help in network failure(think about it modems don't break often)
putting haxor on a 256 requires an spi programmer/blackcat usb/usbjtag NT (see the recommended tools sticky)
you need more than just the mac in this day and age (you'd need the certs from the modem as well)
yes virgin can detect haxor but with brains it can be hidden (these methods are not published sorry you have to read a lot and work it out, not that hard but i would say that)

(03-03-2012, 12:06 AM)crazyanimal Wrote: call the cable company and give them the mac, when the one your using goes dead.

not possible to do this in the uk, our system differs from the usa
__________________________________________________________________________________
******new discord chat link https://discord.gg/5BQQbsb*******
Thank you for your answers, it seems to be more trouble than it's worth!
Could I not just take a dump of the eprom in the 250 and load it in the 256 ?
Or am I missing something?
in some cases that's the easiest way but alas no you can't do it with a 250 and a 256
well you can but it's a bitch due to the firmware/hardware differences between the 250(tsop) and 256(spi) haxorware makes these issue's go away (tho brings a few of it's own)
__________________________________________________________________________________
how do they do it there? just wondering.
you subscribe they give you a modem, if it breaks ask for another, kind of like renting a modem just without the rent
i'll guess your response will be it's cheaper if you could own your own modem (like in america) but the cost is negligible (hell our subcriptions are still less than yours even when you own your modem)
our cable service is based on our tv/telecoms model which brings a whole host of differences to yours (paying to receive a text is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of)
If I can use any modem then why doesn't my second hand 256 work ?
Or is it like crazyanimal says I have to give Virgin its mac to register it.
it is because the mac is not registered(provisioned) with virgin (virgin have no system in place to provision your own modem it's a tech's job)
part of what haxorware does is take the provisioned credentials(this means the certs) from a subbed modem and allow then to work on a second modem