Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulling new IP without rebooting modem
I have an ARRIS TM502G.

I don't have access to the config file so I do not know what the MaxCPEAllowed is.

But when I change my router's mac, about 30 seconds later a new external IP is pulled automatically. Without rebooting the modem.

My entire goal is to change IP's without rebooting the modem, but perhaps there is a maximum of mac changes I can make before I need to reboot the modem? I've done it 5-6 times just testing.

Also, I am wondering why it takes 30 seconds to get a new IP. If at all possible, I would like to cut that down as much as I can.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

AIM: scariies
you have no control over how long the DHCP serves a new IP..

Knowledge=Power
(06-05-2012, 04:38 AM)ABMJR Wrote: you have no control over how long the DHCP serves a new IP..

Yes, but what I am thinking is the router is taking its time telling the modem to update it's learned MAC table with the new mac.

Again, the modem IS not being rebooted. Nor does a single light change when doing this.
The modem is only a bridge and the DHCP server is on the UBR ..
Knowledge=Power
Yes but i have two modems on my account with my ISP.

One requires a reboot of the modem to get new IP.

This ARRIS TM502G is able to get one without rebooting.

How is that?
when you change the 1st device after the modem, the DHCP releases your IP as the 1st device after the CM determines an IP will be given from the DHCP.
Knowledge=Power
That wasn't too hard was it? Just ask intelligent questions and get intelligent answers....FOR FREE!
If thats the case then why does one modem do it and the other not? I thought that MAC addresses were 'married' to the modem until a reboot?
Yes, you cannot change the modem mac w/o reboooting. you can change the router mac but you ned to change the computer name/description AND the nic mac if you don't run a router (which requires that you reboot the pc)
(06-05-2012, 04:19 PM)southernyankey1970 Wrote: Yes, you cannot change the modem mac w/o reboooting. you can change the router mac but you ned to change the computer name/description AND the nic mac if you don't run a router (which requires that you reboot the pc)

....My modem gets a new IP without a reboot when I change the mac on the router.