Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telnet log from SB5101
I am moving this to a new thread as not to confuse with others who are having issues with SB5101 ...

I have the telnet log from the modem below and is seeking advice from the gurus as what the next steps are to move forward with testing ...

My ISP is TWC in NYC area.

I have tried all the BPI settings in the WebGUI and still no connectivity to the net. Perhaps someone suggested to look for the community string from the config file with Vultureware which I did and would appreciate a little more directions for a newbie.

Attached Files
.txt   putty0_new.txt (Size: 19.96 KB / Downloads: 173)
The only thing wrong is, the modems HFC MAC is not on the CMTS's list of allowed modems. There really isnt anything wrong with the log. It shows everything a normal non-provisioned modem would do during handshaking right up until your given an internal IP. Your blocked from the Public IP backbone..

This is the exact same thing any modem bought at some store and was plugged into an active cable drop would do...

Your just not provisioned on their Network.
Knowledge=Power
(24-07-2012, 04:23 PM)ABMJR Wrote: The only thing wrong is, the modems HFC MAC is not on the CMTS's list of allowed modems. There really isnt anything wrong with the log. It shows everything a normal non-provisioned modem would do during handshaking right up until your given an internal IP. Your blocked from the Public IP backbone..

This is the exact same thing any modem bought at some store and was plugged into an active cable drop would do...

Your just not provisioned on their Network.

ABMJR - Thanks for your quick reply.

I was a little overwhelmed with the log file as a newbie. If you don't mind, where in the log that you see the HFC MAC is not provisioned?

Also from the log, what type of security is enforced from the ISP? Do I need a provisioned MAC only or MAC + Cert ?

The log is fine. Its a normal handshake. Your just not provisioned on your ISP's CMTS...

This is new security...I have said, you can try to learn TELNET and do a little something at a certain point and the REG-RSP should allow the CM to be operational..
Knowledge=Power
(24-07-2012, 05:06 PM)ABMJR Wrote: The log is fine. Its a normal handshake. Your just not provisioned on your ISP's CMTS...

This is new security...I have said, you can try to learn TELNET and do a little something at a certain point and the REG-RSP should allow the CM to be operational..

Im in the exact same boat as this guy. Im not opposed to learning and was hoping you can point me in the right direction where I can learn more about TELNET and hopefully I have enough brain power where I can figure out what to do during that point.
I know one thing to do during the handshaking process, but its not public and to post it would be a firmware update to stop it.

There is nothing else, as your not provisioned. Simple as that M8
Knowledge=Power
i don't know of any tutorials for Telnet in regards to a cm. Most of the guys I know all learned the same way...

open up putty and flounder around in the session trying different things till you figure it out.
Hi
I wish the putty program works but it actually doesn;t. I downloaded and tried to use it
to get a telnet error log for my sb5101 and it doesn't work. states "shutting down session"
I tried everything but always gives me the same statement. I am Running win XP.

Set manual NIC IP 192.168.100.10.
Open Putty. Click the 'session' section of the settings panel:
Did everything as instructed but always get session closed
check your firewall settings
(21-10-2012, 05:23 AM)larrybarry Wrote: Hi
I wish the putty program works but it actually doesn;t. I downloaded and tried to use it
to get a telnet error log for my sb5101 and it doesn't work. states "shutting down session"
I tried everything but always gives me the same statement. I am Running win XP.

Set manual NIC IP 192.168.100.10.
Open Putty. Click the 'session' section of the settings panel:
Did everything as instructed but always get session closed
for telnet log, I personally do not use the NIC IP
to save a session you must load and save and then
enter 192.168.100.1 port 23