Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Guy needs a guide
Hello, I am new to this forum and only came across the world of modem firmware last week. Although I have read a lot already I have many questions. I was just tired of going all winter without internet and didn't want to spend a couple months before getting internet installed and since I haven' had any response since my first post last week I figured I would make this thread since a few questions are time critical as I scheduled an install last week for RR basic this evening at 4pm Eastern US time.

First thing I am not clear on is 'Why necessarily a subbed modem?'
I figure that one thing that most of us want to get away from is modem leasing fees but from what I read, seams that many keep their original installed modem and keep paying the fee. I have a
TWC modem from 6 years ago that was never asked to be returned.

1. Should I have that hooked up? Or should I have a leased one installed at the first so that I can get info out of it? It was from another neighborhood 6 miles away and I imagine different node. Not sure if that matters.
2. Should I buy a second modem before or after the install? My goal is not paying leasing fees .... at least eventually.
3. I figure if you have your own modem from the start of the install that it would be as good as a subbed that the SP would lease you if they pushed the same firmware, config and anything else that they put in it.

Maybe some one could clear some of this up as I am almost about to cancel the install at this point although I really don't want to.

Thank you to everyone and ANYONE that will reply!!

Messages In This Thread
The New Guy needs a guide - by Hackman - 29-02-2016, 07:44 PM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by Hackman - 29-02-2016, 11:30 PM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by Winston - 21-03-2016, 10:13 PM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by john666 - 23-03-2016, 01:32 AM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by newname - 23-03-2016, 01:50 AM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by john666 - 23-03-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by newname - 23-03-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by john666 - 23-03-2016, 07:31 PM
RE: The New Guy needs a guide - by Sandy - 24-03-2016, 05:57 PM