Haxorware Forums
Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - Printable Version

+- Haxorware Forums (http://www.haxorware.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.haxorware.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Modems (http://www.haxorware.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem (/showthread.php?tid=1337)

Pages: 1 2 3

Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - catsgomeow - 22-01-2012

Hi,
So i live in a back house on a 2 on a lot. The front house received Comcast cable, but since "upgrading" to higher speeds my wireless connection is almost non-existent -though the signal is stronger the speed is much slower.

At my old house my buddy is a network admin and had a Surfboard modem modded which allowed us to get free cable internet. Since i pay my share of the cost of the modem in the front house I wanted to see if I could install a similar Surfboard modem in my back house. I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-SURFboard-SB5101-Modem-MODDED-PREMOD-PREMODIFIED-HAXORWARE-REV39-/130617968190?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item1e6970063e#ht_1238wt_922 . I'm not sure if this suffice to just plug in and surf the net. What else would be needed? Would I have to call my ISP and tell them I've added a new modem?

Thanks for any help!

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - drewmerc - 22-01-2012

no it's not plug and play and yes you need a valid subscription (it's a lot of hard work)

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - catsgomeow - 22-01-2012

could you direct me on where I could get a plug and play?

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - drewmerc - 22-01-2012

you cant, not any more, if anybody says they can it's a lie

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - catsgomeow - 22-01-2012

Did this happen within the last year? I was using this modem 1 year ago and it worked fine.

yes about 6 months ago the new security started rolling out

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - southernyankey1970 - 22-01-2012

Plug n' play requires a credit card with your ISP...

You learn telnet now or you quit. That's it. hax settings are useless now ( on cc ) . I can't even use hax in my area now longer than 4 hours. Have to use a serial ttl on certain stock firm now to get past a closed node...not for the impatient or lazy....

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - octalforty - 23-01-2012

If i buy a premodded modem what do i need to do to get it online and working? Step by step. Would I already need a comcast subscription and then just cancel it once I have the modem setup? or would having a subscription in the past be enough.
I live in an apartment that is cable ready. I want to buy a modded modem and use it to get online what do I need to do to accomplish this.

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - ADDlCTlON - 23-01-2012

no here will help you steal service

RE: Complete newbie. Have question about getting online using a modded modem - southernyankey1970 - 23-01-2012

Baiscally you need to make friends in your area and find out what they do now...Very hard to do now as every area is different and the few holes left are guarded ferociously. cisco did an outstanding job on cc's network and it is not for the weak willed freetards anymore...YOU MUST have a valid sub to study to see what your node is doing during authentication...trust me.

Buy two 5101's. sub 1 and flash hax lite to it once it is provisioned and output the boot log through telnet then let cc rewrite their firm back over it and never touch it again....

use the other 5101 to test with. You cannot run hax very long on a sub as cisco figured out how to see it.